Waggon & Horses, Liverpool Road, Patricroft, Eccles. (c) deltrems at flickr .
The original Waggon & Horses was first known as the Dog & Partridge and dates back to 1773. After it was rebuilt in about 1856, as the building pictured above in 1991, it became a HQ for many local societies including the Patricroft Lancers FC, Barton Wheelers, the Peel Green Dahlia Society and the Peel Green Homing Society. The new Waggon & Horses was a Hardy's Crown Brewery house until 1962, passing to Walkers of Warrington in 1961, and was a Tetley's pub  until it closed and was demolished in the early 2000s. Since then a Netto supermarket has been built on the site of the old pub.
Former location of Waggon & Horses, Liverpool Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
2. A History of the Pubs of Eccles, Tony Flynn (1980).