The original Waggon & Horses was first known as the Dog & Partridge and can be traced back to 1773 as one of the oldest pubs in the Peel Green area of Eccles. The pub went through a host of names changes, being The Dog, the Black Dog, the Greyhound, and the Black Greyhound, before settling for the Waggon & Horses in 1824. The pub shown above in an ancient photograph was rebuilt in 1856 as the Waggon & Horses , which stood until the early 2000s but is now the site of a Netto supermarket.
1. A History of Pubs of Eccles, Tony Flynn (1980).