Foresters Arms, Oldham Road, Failsworth. (c) Rob Magee .
The Foresters Arms in Failsworth has been closed a few years now but this wasn't the original pub. The first Foresters Arms was in a row of cottages set at an angle off Oldham Road, first licensed in 1830 after the Beer Act. The above photo of the original Foresters is from about 1884 and was presented in an album to the locally famous Ben Brierley before his trip to America. The first brewery to own the beerhouse was Watson, Woodhead & Wagstaffe of Salford, and the Foresters then passed to Walker & Homfrays in 1912 who decided to knock it down and rebuilt the pub nearby right on the main road .
1. Failsworth Pubs 1731-1995 and their licensees, Rob Magee (1995).