White Lion, Great Jackson Street, Hulme. (c) Joan Hawkins at Hulme, C.on.M, All Saints, Ardwick Facebook .
The White Lion at No.80 Great Jackson Street opened in 1845  on the corner of George Street and also the corner of Howard Street. This evocative photo of a group of women drinking half pints (of mild?) is a rare glimpse of the inside of pubs in the years around and during WWII. The White Lion closed in 1966 as a Charrington house  to make way for the Mancunian Way. The old location of the White Lion is pretty much where Jackson Crescent bends into the Mancunian Way, where Great Jackson Street used to run down to the south east.
Former location of White Lion, Great Jackson Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
2. The Old Pubs of Hulme Manchester (1) 1770-1930, Bob Potts (1983).
3. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).