New Cross Inn, Swinton Hall Road, Pendlebury. (c) Neil Richardson & Roger Hall .
The New Cross Inn on Swinton Hall Road Pendlebury was known locally as 'Halligans', named after Robert Halligan, the landlord back in 1933 and for many years after. The beerhouse was in a row of cottages called Mount Pleasant which were built in 1849, and the boozer opened a few years later in 1856 .
New Cross, Swinton Hall Road. (c) Lizziesl Local History .
Earlier its life the New Cross was also nicknamed 'Crompton's Beerhouse' after owner Thomas Crompton, and it didn't fall into a brewer's hands until the Worsley Brewing Company took it over. The New Cross Inn expanded into the next door house and in the 1970s the multi-roomed layout was knocked through.
Sadly, Halligans was knocked down in the early 2000s for the building of new (and inferior) flats. The Jehovah's Witness church next door to Halligans, seen above on the left, indicates where the old New Cross Inn and Halligans stood until recently.
Former location of Halligans, Swinton Hall Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
The New Cross Inn is shown here in black and white courtesy of Lizzle Leak and the Salford Local History Library - http://lizzieslocalhistory.weebly.com/halligans---new-cross-inn.html.
1. The Pubs of Swinton & Pendlebury (including Clifton and Newtown), Neil Richardson & Roger Hall (1980).