Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Monday, 25 August 2014

Golden Cross, Liverpool Road

Golden Cross, Liverpool Road, Patricroft, Eccles. (c) deltrems at flickr [1].

The Golden Cross on Liverpool Road in Patricroft was one of Eccles' oldest pubs until it was knocked down in about 2008.  It can be traced back to 1772 and was used as a coaching station in the 1800s when Liverpool Road was called Catch Inn Lane. 

Golden Cross, Liverpool Road. (c) Tony Flynn [2].

The Golden Cross - with its Golden X Hotel sign above - had an upstairs club room with a billiards table, and in the 1800s, the Ancient Order of Foresters used to meet in the pub.  A plaque commemorating the first meeting in 1840 was used as the dartboard cover in the vault.

Golden Cross, Liverpool Road. (c) Tony Flynn [2].

The Golden Cross was nicknamed 'Cloudy's', after the landlord, Dougie "Cloudy" Brown, who would kick the barrels if the beer was serving too clear.  In later years the pub was nicknamed 'Cleary's' due to the top quality Joseph Holt's on offer.

Golden Cross, Liverpool Road. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.

The Golden Cross closed as a Holt's house at some point in the 2000s and the council agreed to its demolition, leaving the Black Boy, next-door-but-one, standing alone, and of course this has now closed too.

2. A History of the Pubs of Eccles, Tony Flynn (1980).

2 comments:

  1. Great pub..much missed as part of the legendary Holts run!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anybody know what happened to the Golden Cross in Eccles and why it was demolished.

    ReplyDelete