Lion & Lamb, Lion Street, Blackley. (c) Roger Hall .
The first Lion & Lamb in Blackley was situated some distance from the last Lion & Lamb, which was known in more recent times as the Wrecker (and Mariner). The original pub was on the corner of Market Street and Lion Street in Blackley village centre, facing the still-serving Holt's boozer, the Golden Lion. Originally known as the Old White Lion, it was built in 1746 on the site of an even older White Lion. This means the Lion & Lamb dates back to the at least the early seventeenth century - mentioned in the recognizances of 1629 - and probably the village itself.
The Old White Lion, which was rebuilt 12 years after its neighbour, the Golden Lion opened, gave name to the New White Lion on Middleton Old Road, as the landlord moved from old to new in 1809. The pub appears to have been renamed the Lion & Lamb in the late 1850s and it closed in 1927, the new Lion & Lamb over on Victoria Avenue opening the following day . The Golden Lion outlasted its neighbouring Lion and the replacement pub!
Former location of Lion & Lamb / Old White Lion, Lion Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. The Pubs of Blackley, Roger Hall (1980).