Three Pigeons, Bolton Road, Irlams o'the'Height, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Three Pigeons was a beerhouse on the corner of Irlam Square, a few yards up Bolton Road from the still-serving Holt's house, the Red Lion, on the Height. It can be traced back to the 1860s and by 1903 it had been taken over by Wilsons brewery. This was an odd acquisition, especially as they then took out a new 10-year lease on the beerhouse despite it being on the closure list. Licensee, James Greenwood, admitted he wasn't selling much beer and that the previous landlord had only pulled in the customers by pulling them free ale. The Three Pigeons was duly closed in 1908 and Wilsons received £1,500 compensation, which wasn't bad when rent was only £65 a year .
1. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).