The Grove can be traced back to 1871 as the Grove Inn, and a few years later it was under the ownership of the Britannia Brewery, which later became the Manchester Brewery Company. It once advertised 'Celebrated Ardwick Ales' on the corner of Ellor Street and Church Street, but by 1912 the Church had passed to Walker & Homfray. The Grove closed in 1966 as a Wilsons house (as above in 1961 ) and its licence (plus a few others: the Grapes on Cross Lane and the Prince of Wales Feathers) passed to the Woodman, a new estate pub on Belvedere Road . The old location of the Grove was roughly half way along Pendleton Way.
Woodman, Belvedere Road. (c) James Herring at Facebook.
1. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).