Former location of Church Inn, Rochdale Road, Collyhurst. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
The Church was an impressive looking pub on the corner of Pilling Street and Rochdale Road, just north of the city centre in Collyhurst. It was sadly closed in 1968 under a compulsory purchase order, having been fully licensed - latterly as as a Cornbrook Brewery house - since about 1808. In the early days the pub was called the St Georges Tavern and it had a brewhouse attached. The Church Inn was locally nicknamed the Clock Face or just the Clock due to the clock tower which faced onto Rochdale Road , as seen here in 1958. Pilling Street has been renamed Pearing Street which still runs off Rochdale Street today near Collyhurst police station.
1. The Old Pubs of Rochdale Road and neighbourhood Manchester, Bob Potts (1985).