Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Sunday, 7 April 2013

Sir Colin Campbell, Regent Road

Sir Colin Campbell, Regent Road, Salford. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr [1].

In a row of houses along Regent Road on the corner of Meter Street, the Sir Colin Campbell beerhouse opened in about 1861 (see the other lost Sir Colin Campbell for the name's origin).  It became a Walker & Homfrays house and in 1904 the brewery rebuilt the beerhouse, incorporating the plumber's next door, with an ornate brickwork and tiled facade [2].

Sir Colin Campbell, Regent Road, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson [2].

In the 1950s, the Sir Colin Campbell passed to Wilsons Brewery but it became one of the first victims of the Regent Road widening scheme when it was closed in the early 1970s [2].  Meter Street has been lost but the next street along, West Craven Street, still runs north of Regent Road (right, below).  The Sir Colin Campbell would have been to the left:

Former location of Sir Colin Campbell (left), Regent Road. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.

2. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall and Ordsall Lane, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).

No comments:

Post a Comment