Black Mare, Cannel Street, Ancoats. (c) Manchester Local Image Collection. Click here to view full image .
The Black Mare stood on the corner of Beatson Street and Cannel Street, opening in 1822, and so preceded the Beerhouse Act of 1830. By the 1850s, the Beatson Street Brewery stood opposite, even though the Black Mare had a brewhouse of its own. The Black Mare survived the numerous rounds of demolition and rebuilding of this part of Ancoats, but closed in 1968 as a Groves & Whitnall house with its distinctive green tiled frontage . Thankfully a couple of 1962 and 1966 photos exist in the archives , taken before the pub and neighbourhood were cleared for the unsuccessful Card Room Estate. Cannel Street (formerly Canal Street) used to run parallel to and just west of (Old) Mill Street, and the old location of the Black Mare was behind the odd-looking new pharmacy that has recently opened in the recently christened 'New Islington' part of Ancoats.
Former location of Black Mare, Cannel Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
2. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).