Railway Hotel, Wilburn Street, Ordsall. (c) Neil Richardson .
Wilburn Street used to run parallel to the top end of Ordsall Lane, running from Regent Road up to Hampson Street, and a short stretch still remains today. When a short road was built to link Wilburn Street to Ordsall Lane, an old beerhouse called the Mechanics Arms was demolished and a wedge shaped public house was built in its place, the Railway Hotel. Sadly, the Railway was destroyed in the Christmas Blitz of 1940 which also killed the landlord and his wife, John and Anne McGrevy. The Railway started out under the ownership of the Sun Brewery of Ford Lane, passing to Kay's Atlas (pictured above, with posing chaps, in 1910), and then to Robinsons of Stockport by the time it was lost. The licence eventually passed to a new estate pub a few miles away, the Pied Piper on Eastham Way in Little Hulton. You can still make out the wedge shape, on Ordsall Lane leading to Wilburn Street, where the Railway Hotel once stood.
Former location of Railway Hotel, Wilburn Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane, Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).