Britannia, Ordsall Lane, Ordsall. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Britannia was the first pub to open on Ordsall Lane in 1824, standing on the corner of Regent Street, just north of Regent Road. By the 1870s the pub was owned by James Henry Deakin, the brewer, which turned into the Manchester Brewery Company in 1888. When the Britannia was issued with a compulsory purchase order in 1955 it had passed to Wilsons, and it closed in 1959 due to the huge post-war redevelopment of this Manchester end of Regent Road .
Former location of Britannia, Ordsall Lane. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road amd Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).