William The Fourth, Robert Hall Street, Ordsall. (c) Neil Richardson .
On the corner of Ellesmere Street and Robert Hall Street, the William The Fourth opened in 1878, lasting just shy of a century as it closed in 1972. The William The Fourth was a firstly a Walkers & Homfray house before it passed to Wilsons in the 1950s. In 1975, Wilsons built a new estate pub, the Chequerboard to replace the old beerhouse, and it still survives today as the Welcome under Lees Brewery . Ellesmere Street has been lost to the new St. Joseph's RC School, as has the stretch of Robert Hall Street where the William The Fourth used to stand. Its approximate location was where Mayflower Avenue would intersect with Robert Hall Street if it continued west.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).