Rob Roy, Arlington Street, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Rob Roy stood on the corner of Mount Street and Arlington Street in the Adelphi district of Salford, opening in 1830. The pub was rebuilt partially in the 1880s, giving it a tiled frontage and an 1888 date on the gable end. By this time the Rob Roy was a Mottram Brewery house, named after Richard Mottram, a local councillor, who owned the brewery in Brewery Street. Cornbrook Brewery took over the Mottram Bewery pubs in the 1890s and expanded the Rob Roy by buying up the shop next door on Mount Street. In 1961 the pub passed to Charringtons Brewery but just a few years later, the Rob Roy was included in the January '67 St John's Primary School compulsory purchase scheme and was pulled down in 1968 . Both streets are still in existence today but the site of the old Rob Roy is nothing more than the meeting point of two footpaths in between the new housing and the school.
1. Salford Pubs - Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).