St Stephens Tavern, St Stephen Street, Adelphi, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
Diagonally opposite the Friendship on the corner of Rigby Street, the St Stephens Tavern was the first pub to open on St Stephen Street, back when this marked the edge of the old town of Salford. It opened in 1823 just north of the church, and it's from the church tower that the tavern can be seen in the 1950s, around the time it closed. In later years the St Stephens Tavern was a Hardy's Crown Brewery house, but the pub was closed and demolished after its inclusion in one of the post-war clearance areas .
1. Salford Pubs Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).