Unicorn, Broughton Road, Pendleton, Salford. (c) Paul Wilson with posthumous permission.
The Unicorn at No.10 Broughton Road can be traced back to 1836 when a lease was first taken out for the beerhouse. However, it took until about 1860 for it to open under Joseph Embley .
Unicorn, Broughton Road, 1970s. (c) Neil Richardson .
By the 1890s the Unicorn was a Groves & Whitnall house, and in 1963 the pub passed to Greenall Whitley .
The Unicorn was close to Pendleton railway station, one of Salford's lost stations, and of course the old Railway pub still stands just up the road.
A claim to fame for the Unicorn is that The Hollies' Graham Nash, also of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young fame, used to pull pints behind that bar. That's because he bought the pub for his mother in the 1970s .
Unicorn, Broughton Road. (c) Salfordonline.
Despite a rather dour grey face lift in the early 2010s (or was it post-closure?), the Unicorn closed its doors in 2012 and stood empty for a few years.
Unicorn, Broughton Road, May 2015. (c) Google 2015. View Larger Map.
The old Unicorn, the last of the Broughton Road pubs, is now a lettings office as of mid-2015, leaving slim pickings in this part of Salford, with only the Church Inn and Priory still serving.
Former Unicorn, Broughton Road, August 2015. (c) Google 2015. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2013).