Grosvenor, Great Clowes Street, Lower Broughton. (c) Paul Wilson with posthumous permission.
The Grosvenor opened on the corner of Great Clowes Street and Clarence Street in Lower Broughton in 1877 after it had been granted its license in 1875. The three-storey hotel had a commercial room, smoke room, refreshment room (vault) and billiard room, with a coach house and stables in the yard. Threlfalls took over the Grosvenor in the late 19th century, with it passing to Whitbread in the 1960s .
In 1982 the Grosvenor was renamed the Hanky Park Hotel as a theme pub, but this didn't last long and Whitbread turned it back into the Grosvenor in 1986. Their Delamere Inns division turned the concert room into a games room with a full-sized snooker table. However, the Grosvenor closed in 1994 and was demolished the following year . The Grosvenor stood at No.95 Great Clowes Street  so would have been on this corner.
Former location of Grosvenor, Great Clowes Street. (c) Google 2014. View Larger Map.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).