Blue Bell, Monton Green, Monton, Eccles. (c) Tony Flynn .
The original Blue Bell on Monton Green, pictured above in 1895 as the white building on the left, may have been known as just the Bell initially. It can be traced back to the middle of the eighteenth century, belonging to the Greenhalgh and then Lansdale local families. The Blue Bell was a huge whitewashed pub set alongside several cottages and in 1897 it was bought by Hulme's Wagstaffe Lion Brewery for £10,000. When Wagstaffe's merged with Watson & Woodhead of Salford, the new brewery knocked down the Blue Bell and rebuilt a new pub in 1906 . JW Lees still run the 'new' Blue Bell on Monton Road today.
1. A History of the Pubs of Eccles, Tony Flynn (1980).