Bee Hive, Worsley Fold, Pendlebury, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson & Roger Hall .
The original Bee Hive Inn was on Worsley Fold, one of seven cottages, and opened in 1868 as a purpose-built beerhouse. It was nicknamed "Tunches", after a landlord who was nicknamed Tunch. The first landlord was Thomas Rothwell who later moved to the Worsley Brewery who took over the beerhouse. The exciting-sounding Dahlia Club and Clifton Gooseberry Society - "the rooms were tastefully decorated with flowers, cut blooms, plants and vegetables" - used to meet at the Bee Hive but its quiet existence was ended when Walkers of Warrington took over the Worsley Brewery. They decided to build a new Beehive, probably in the 1920s, a little distance away on Rake Lane to address the new housing that had been built in the area .
1. The Pubs of Swinton & Pendlebury (including Clifton and Newton), Neil Richardson & Roger Hall (1980).