Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Saturday 17 September 2011

Butchers Arms, Cross Lane

Butchers Arms, Cross Lane, Salford. (c) ssplprints.

The Butchers Arms was on the corner of Unwin Street (now Churchill Way) at the top end off Cross Lane in between the Grapes and the Cattle Market Hotel.  First licensed in 1840, the Butchers advertised "the largest pig hog in the world" in 1867 - many pubs around Cross Lane would display freak animals that had come to the cattle market to draw in customers.  The pub was taken by Cardwell's Brewery in 1894 then Wilsons in 1899, Groves & Whitnall in 1907 then the North Cheshire Brewery in 1917.  In December 1922 the Butchers advertised"free wireless demonstrations", as pictured above. The pub closed before most of its Cross Lane neighbours, in 1967 under final owners, Inde Coope [1].

Former location of Butchers Arms, Cross Lane, Salford (Corporation, right). (c) googlemaps.

1. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).

2 comments:

  1. I lived just around the corner from the "Butchers" on Cooper Street 1945-1952 Mr Johnson's son Geoffrey/Jeffrey? was a photographer and designed a plate camera. My father engineered the parts for him, and in return the Landlord allowed my Dad to garage his Ariel motorbike and sidecar there in his barrel yard free of charge. Geoff took some excellent photos of me when I was 3 years old which I still have in my possession. I subsequently moved to the US and on a visit back to Salford in 1970 I was "gutted" to find my old home and the Butchers Arms had been obliterated. However I will never forget playing across the street when the Market was closed on the empty stalls. A 5 year old's dream playground. I do however feel bad because we used to mock Albert the parks caretaker by calling him names knowing that even though he could run fast with only one leg and a crutch he could get close but if we made it to the fence we were safe, as climbing over it was not one of his skills. He knew us and took it all in good fun. Anyone remember the Clock outside the pub, or the bombshelter a few yards away on Cross Lane that we claimed as our own Fort until it too was demolished? memories I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really keen to seek the person who posted this… your help would help answer so many unanswered questions about my family tree

      Delete