The original Unicorn on Liverpool Road dated back to the early 1800s and in the early days was nicknamed "Pretty Margarets" after landlady, Margaret Greaves. An intriguing find was made behind the pub in 1875 when a 3-foot wide pathway lined with boulders was found 5 feet below the surface along with a set of stag's antlers .
In 1878 Robert Harrison bought the Unicorn for £4,105 and the street behind where the pub stood is still named Harrison Street today. In the same year the Unicorn became a John Twigg Manor Brewery house, who themselves merged with the Rochdale & Oldham Brewery Company in 1895 who then rebuilt the Unicorn as the pub which stands today .
Unicorn, Liverpool Road. (c) Sale Supporters.
1. A History of the Pubs of Eccles, Tony Flynn (1980).