Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Stevenson's Hotel, Yarburgh Street


Stevenson's Hotel, Yarburgh Street, Moss Side. (c) Manchester Local Image Collection. Click here to view full image [1].

Stevenson's Hotel was a residential hotel in Moss Side but had a licensed bar open to the public.  Shown here in 1961 and later without the whitewash in 1969, it was on the corner of Yarburgh Street along Stanley Street.  Although Stanley Street has been lost to redevelopment of this Alexandra Park area of Moss Side, Yarburgh Street still runs from Withington Road on the Whalley Range border to Claremont Road.

2 comments:

  1. back in the sixties, i was often based for tours, in Manchester and always stayed at Stevensons Hotel which was owned by a really good bloke named Mr Brophy, a terrific landlord. Great memories of the less seamier side of Moss Side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I don't know if you will see this as it is a few years ago when you commented about the Stevensons Hotel. This was my uncles hotel and my dad his brother use to visit every so often. I use to meet quite a few famous people although I was only quite young so didn't know who most of them were. I use to visit when I was between the age of 7 to 9. His hotel specialised in accommodating theatricals, many who were performing at the local theatres and television studios. Its possible we have seen each other there back in those days. At that early age I was wearing those little round nhs glasses, I talking about around 1967 to 1969. I use to play with the dog a little Scottish terrier I think. You will probably remember Georges wife and the three daughters who all worked together to run the hotel. Meeting some of the stars there must have rubbed off on me as at the age of 11 I started studying music and guitar. I'm still involved in music in my spare time creating production music. Funny how places and people from you past can have a profound affect on your future. They are great memories and good to share with someone with a common connection.

      Delete