Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Saturday 21 September 2013

Kestrel, Hugo Street

Kestrel, Hugo Street, Moston, 1984. (c) D.N. at ManMates Facebook [1].

The Kestrel was a functional-looking Wilsons estate pub on Hugo Street, just off Lightbowne Road in Moston.  Pictured above in 1984 thanks to ManMates Facebook, it closed at some point in the early 2000s.

Kestrel, Hugo Street. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.

Towards the end it went downhill and was blighted by trouble before closure.  Standing empty for a number of years, this "eyesore" was bought by the council so they could pull it down.

Kestrel, Hugo Street. (c) Right Move.

The councilor and property developers seem a bit too happy to be demolishing the Kestrel here.

Kestrel, Hugo Street. (c) Easier Property.

In this oddly disturbing shot they are reminiscent of big game hunters displaying the carcass of slaughtered prey.

Kestrel, Hugo Street. (c) Easier Property.

As of September 2012 the site of the old Kestrel was still vacant but I think new-builds have gone up since.

Former Kestrel, Hugo Street. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.

7 comments:

  1. I worked on the door here early 2000s it did have its moments but the regulars were great and the landlord and land lady always looked after me I have a lot of great memories of the pub and the people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to find pictures of hugo street in the 1900+1970s. Why can l only get the kestrel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived here in the 80s left moston 1991 went broadhurst primary anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked at kestrel for Tony and Maureen Murphy in the 80s. Great couple. Wouldn't stand any messing about. I later worked for Roger and Rita Hewitt. They are a great couple. My two youngest so s went to broadhurst primary school. Gary and Paul Stretton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi im the one who left the comment before yours saying I left moston in 1991 and went to Broadhurst primary. Yes I know Paul Stretton as he was in my class I was born in 1983

      Delete
  5. We lived across the road on Salterton Walk from 1976 until 1982 and had many a good night/day in the Kestrel. Tony was known as "Wiggy" for some reason and he had a lovely daughter, also a Great Dane used to prowl the pub. Roger was also a lovely fellow who employed my man Alma at next door laundrette. Fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what was here before the pub?

    ReplyDelete