Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Monday 8 July 2013

Grey Mare, Grey Mare Lane

Grey Mare, Grey Mare Lane, Beswick. (c) D.N. at ManMates Facebook [1].

They Grey Mare was a big corner pub at the old junction of Ashton Old Road and Grey Mare Lane in Beswick, shown above and from another angle, at the ManMates Facebook pages [1].  It's shown here in the 1970s as a Whitbread house, and this photo from 1962 shows the side of the Grey Mare with directions to the city centre to the right, Ashton to the left and Sheffield and Stockport straight on.  

Grey Mare, Grey Mare Lane. (c) Manchester Local Image Collection. Click here to view full (upside down) image [2].

An upside down photo from 1960s at the archive shows a snooker club that used to stand across the road from the Grey Mare.   This from the same year shows the pub at the bottom end of Grey Mare Lane as it was before the building of Alan Turing Way and the new flats that have replaced it.

Former location of Grey Mare, Ashton Old Road. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.

6 comments:

  1. What was the snooker hall called opposite the grey mare ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone know all the previous owners? I believe my Grandma owned it Back in the 40's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in the late 50's and 60's it was run by a distant relative of mine, Adrian (Aldcroft?)

      Delete
    2. correction; his name was Adrian Mycroft

      Delete
  3. My Grandparents owned or ran the Pub as my Mum and Uncle grew up there. I'm not sure of the years and my Mum was born 1919. I'm guessing they were were 1920s into 1930s. My Grandparents were Leonard and Grace Holding, my Mum, May and my Uncle also Leonard. Both Granddad and Uncle were Ships Plembers at Salford Docks with my Grandad going on to become Regional Convenor for his Union. I still have some artefacts from the pub, e.g.1/4 Gill pewter measuring tankard. Contact Mr on guyfde@gmail.com if you'd like to know more as I can also check with my sister who will know more

    ReplyDelete