Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Wednesday 12 June 2013

Nelson, Ellor Street

Nelson, Ellor Street, Hanky Park, Salford. (c) Bob Potts [1].

The Nelson Inn was on the corner of Smethurst Street and Ellor Street in Hanky Park, opening in the 1860s as a small, two-up, two-down beerhouse.  It was enlarged in 1899 by absorbing two neighbouring houses and by 1911 it was owned by Peter Walkers brrewery of Warrington.  In these times, this, and other beerhouses, opened all hours, from 6am til 11pm, and the Nelson offered Walkers mild at just 1 1/2d when others milds such as Chesters and Walker & Homfray were 1/2d dearer.  The First World War saw all mild being set at 2 1/2 and the Nelson lost customers because of the rises.  Creese's Brewery of Hyde took over in 1920 before Tetley's of Leeds ran it until "Black Sunday" and the closure of so many of Hanky Park's pubs [2].  The Nelson was opposite the Wellington, so not far from the Flemish Weaver is today.


Nelson, Ellor Street, Hanky Park. (c) Neil Richardson [2].

1. Hanky Park, Tony Flynn (1990).
2. Salford Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).

1 comment:

  1. Im Frank Allanson. My mum and dad, Frank and Gladys where the last landlords at the Nelson on Ellor St in 1959.I was 7years old the youngest of 5, 4 still at home. Dad managed the pub for the last 12 months or so for Tetleys before being offered the Borough Hotel in Burnley. I have great memories including all the housing around was gone and just the pubs remained on all the corners. they had to retain pubs till the end to retain licences they could transfer to new pubs apparently, as a final house or pub was vacated all the children would watch the occupants leave and then try to be the 1st to throw stones and smash the windows..Most of my playmate were obviously from other pubs. My dad said it was remarkable that old customers continued to come in from their new homes even if they were quite far away. We also used to get a lot of scrape dealers in with their cash. The caravans were always coming and going. My mum was the one to separate fighting as they would respect a strong womans shout...I went to the local junior school a few hundred yards away St Johns I think but not sure. I joined the cubs there. we had to use the ground level playground but there was also a playground on the flat roof, I remember going up there but nobody was allowed to play up there anymore. The pub as with all remaining building was swarming in mice I remember it well as there was nowhere else for the mice to go. I still have a scar on my right foot from stupidly kicking in a pane of glass lying up against a wall.. My mum and sister would try to denit me every night. Oh happy carefree days. when we had helped removal men to load our belongings, my last deed was to throw our left over eggs at a window, with mums permision, My big regret was having boxed up about 20 airfix models so carefully in paper. the removal men left the box there thinking it was waste paper.....frank Allanson age 67 years

    ReplyDelete