Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Sunday 19 May 2013

Albion Inn, Pinder Street

Albion Inn, Pinder Street, Hulme. (c) Bob Potts [1]

The Albion Inn was on the corner of Raglan Street and Pinder Street in the south of Hulme.  It is pictured above in 1961 as a Wilsons Brewery house [1] and at No.22 was the third of three beerhouses in a row on this stretch of Pinder Street - the George Inn at No.18, the Moss Side Inn at No.20.  The latter closed in 1906 but the George and Albion lasted until the late 1960s [1].  The Albion Inn was roughly at the bottom end of today's Peregrine Street, around the back of ASDA, in this vastly changed latest incarnation of Hulme.

1. The Old Pubs of Hulme and Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).

9 comments:

  1. The "Beer Retailer" of the Albion Inn on the 1st December 1876 was Robert Moffat, whose son Thomas, was born there, the registration address being 22 Pindar Street, Moss Side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Lavanini was landlord from approx 1938 until 1950's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Richard was a younger brother of my grandma. Mum mentioned pub for first time in the last week so thought I'd check it out. Hello cousin, don't think we've ever met. Ian

      Delete
  4. Richard lavanini my grandfather

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother who has recently passed away mentioned her friend Stella Lavanini. My mothers nana was Beatrice Hodgson, she used to work at The Albion. Does anyone recognise those names?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No sorry ,my mum was stella Lavanini she died aug 2020 :(
    Do you have any pic,s of inside the pub ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to find some. My mother had lots of old photographs, still got to go through them. My mother Jean died in July 2020. Sorry for your loss

      Delete
  7. I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm looking for a picture and some history if possible of The Shakespeare Inn, York St, Hulme around the 1950s. My father's dad was the publican and I'd love to be able to find some information for him to get framed. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete