Bold Dragoon, Rochdale Road, Collyhurst. (c) Manchester Local Image Collection. Click here to view full image .
A couple of doors up Rochdale Road from the Spread Eagle was the oddly named Bold Dragoon. This beerhouse was licensed from 1847 to 1959, when the owners, Groves & Whitnall, surrendered its beer licence in exchange for a full one at the Great Western in Moss Side. The name comes from a popular songs in Victorian times, The Bold Dragoon, although for a time in the nineteenth century the beerhouse was known as the Joiners Arms.
Bold Dragoon, Rochdale Road. (c) Bob Potts .
In the photo above, Livesey Street is out of shot to the left and the Bold Dragoon is the house in the centre that the lady crossing the road appears to be heading for. Also partially shown are the Kings Arms (extreme right) and Spread Eagle (in the distance with the white side). There is little left along this stretch of Rochdale Road these days.
2. The Old Pubs of Rochdale Road and neighbourhood Manchester, Bob Potts (1985).