The original Woolpack used to stand at the junction of Bolton Road and Eccles Old Road, Pendleton, and can be traced back to 1786. The pub used to have a bowling green and tea gardens which opened in 1829, and the Woopack offered "the very best wines and spirits, London bottled and draught porter and excellent home brewed ale ." At this time there was a turnpike for the Eccles Old Road here and there was a horse's water trough outside the Woolpack.
Woolpack, Eccles Old Road, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson & Tony Flynn .
By the end of the 19th century the Woolpack was comprised of an original three-storey building with a two-storey extension on the Eccles Old Road side. At this time the pub was advertising Hardy's Celebrated Ales but in 1905 Walkers & Homfray took over. They renovated the pub, tiling the front and adding the distinctive black and white timber detail .
Woolpack, Eccles Old Road, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
Landlord of the newly refurbished Woolpack was Robert Valentine, then a Manchester United player, and he relaid the bowling green and built a bowling house out the back. The Woolpack passed to Wilsons Brewery and it closed in September 1966, but just four years later a new Woolpack was opened down on Meyrick Road on the new estate . The spot where the old Woolpack stood has been swallowed up by the Eccles Old Road - Broad Street - Bolton Road junction.
2. Salford's Pubs Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).
3. Salford's Pubs 1, Neil Richardson & Tony Flynn (1978).